Ravenholdt RP Sanctum Azeroth Press The Twisting Nether Gazette Wowpedia
Forum rules
This forum is used to post threads about various roleplaying topics. It is also the place for companion threads to ongoing RP and for RP event planning. Well-written guides pertinent to a good portion of the community will be stickied as reference material.
Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington
Thomas Jarington

Re: Something Bothering Me (DK's)

Postby Thomas Jarington » August 20th, 2014, 5:41 pm

In regards to the Light, for some reason, Brother Silas from The DaVinci Code comes to mind. The idea of Self-flagellation to ease the torment of not being worthy, yet needing to lash out constantly. Maiming one's self in ordr satisfy the need to cause torment and agony.

Then be released as an attack dog to do the Light's work when needed. The violence would be spectacular.
Thomas Jarington & Co.

Fauxpaw
Fauxpaw
Fauxpaw

Postby Fauxpaw » August 21st, 2014, 7:49 pm

LEGION wrote:
Fauxpaw wrote:I like the idea of a death knight trying to fit back into regular life and being rejected, but instead I see the "edgy dead badass" as the cut-and-paste motif for their personality.

Actually, you've just given me an awesome idea for my own DK. Thank you. ;)

H..hey! I was gonna do that!

LEGION
LEGION
LEGION

Postby LEGION » August 22nd, 2014, 6:39 pm

So, mechanically, I know all player DKs come from Archerus and therefore would be 3rd Gen DKs. As such, they would not have been created before the 3rd War. But what about after? Is it reasonable to have a Death Knight who was taken from the Fallen in Northrend during WotLK? Much of the Ebon Blade's efforts in Northrend appear to be either freeing or destroying Scourge that were under the Lich King's influence at the time, so it seems possible.

Draxonicar
Draxonicar
Draxonicar

Postby Draxonicar » August 22nd, 2014, 7:03 pm

LEGION wrote:So, mechanically, I know all player DKs come from Archerus and therefore would be 3rd Gen DKs. As such, they would not have been created before the 3rd War. But what about after? Is it reasonable to have a Death Knight who was taken from the Fallen in Northrend during WotLK? Much of the Ebon Blade's efforts in Northrend appear to be either freeing or destroying Scourge that were under the Lich King's influence at the time, so it seems possible.

the player character death knights, in order to join their respective factions, required nothing less than all of the following:

0. have the absolute control over their minds by the lich king be broken by the holiest ground in all of azeroth, light's hope chapel
1. be publicly betrayed by the lich king and explicitly stated to be nothing more than a means to an end in front of a literal army of witnesses

2. personally forgiven by the highlord of the argent crusade, wielder of the ashbringer and most powerful paladin alive, tirion fordring
3. swear an oath of vengeance against arthas and all other scourge, as well as admit that they are "abominations with no place in this world"
4. be pardoned in person by their respective faction leader
5. kill every last member of the scourge they used to serve

even with all of the above evidence on their behalf, death knights are still reviled and rejected by many of their allied races, admittedly with more issues accepting them from the Alliance than from the Horde.

people made into death knights in northrend wouldn't have had the lich king's control over them broken, let alone the plethora of other circumstances required for them to be playable. Varok Saurfang tried to kill his own father with an axe without any qualms, the loch king doesnt fuck around when it comes to mind control.

The ebon blade had very very very little focus on the "freeing" side and much much more on the "destroying" part. The only ones freed off the top of my head are those at the Shadow Vault, and they're explicitly being constantly kept mind controlled against their wills with the Sovereign Rods. Its more of a freeing prisoners of war style mission than recruiting the enemy.

a Death knight that's not of acherus is not going to be welcome in any horde or alliance aligned territory in the game. in fact, they'd probably be very high up on the ebon blade's hit list, just like every other high ranking member of the scourge.

LEGION
LEGION
LEGION

Postby LEGION » August 22nd, 2014, 9:53 pm

I suppose having Arthas' undead babies is out, too?

Naunet
Naunet
Global Moderator
Naunet

Postby Naunet » August 22nd, 2014, 11:26 pm

LEGION wrote:I suppose having Arthas' undead babies is out, too?

*nonchalantly hides backstory*
"Song dogs barking at the break of dawn, lightning pushes the edges of a thunder storm. And these streets, quiet as a sleeping army, send their battered dreams to heaven."

LEGION
LEGION
LEGION

Postby LEGION » August 23rd, 2014, 11:01 am

So another serious question I had (not that Arthas' babies wasn't srs. Ahem.):

Draxonicar wrote:3. swear an oath of vengeance against arthas and all other scourge, as well as admit that they are "abominations with no place in this world"

How do they reconcile this belief with Sylvanas creating more 'abominations'? Assuming by 'they' you meant the Death Knights themselves, I would think they would be opposed to it -- perhaps even violently.

darethy
darethy
darethy

Postby darethy » August 23rd, 2014, 12:27 pm

LEGION wrote:So another serious question I had (not that Arthas' babies wasn't srs. Ahem.):

Draxonicar wrote:3. swear an oath of vengeance against arthas and all other scourge, as well as admit that they are "abominations with no place in this world"

How do they reconcile this belief with Sylvanas creating more 'abominations'? Assuming by 'they' you meant the Death Knights themselves, I would think they would be opposed to it -- perhaps even violently.

Poor storytelling, also maintaining a neutral faction, also not all of them believe that even if they say it and join with the Forsaken.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind actually fighting the Argent Dawn and Ebon Blade, sometimes even physically, over politics. I don't particularly care for either organization, some elements of the former aren't even that different from the Scarlet Crusade, and it'd spice things up with a wider variety of enemies to fight then merely 'The Alliance'.

That's not going to happen though.

Nolan
Nolan
Nolan

Postby Nolan » August 23rd, 2014, 2:56 pm

Glad to see this thread is getting some usage! In the case of a Death Knight, with the insight you guys have provided, it seems that though there are a ton of reasons why a character can become a Death Knight but not a ton of RP potential thereafter.

For me personally, a Death Knight would be a great character to transition into from a retiring alt, namely my warrior. But the problem is, how to make a great RP character out of the cookie cutter grimdark anti-hero that is the Death Knight class. Of course I have ideas, but really, they're kinda average, grimdark, and/or anti-hero-ey. (If anyone wants to hear it, PM me :) )
Noldain: Human Death Knight
Baltus Ravenholm: Worgen Priest
Nylaenan Oakwhisper: Night Elf Druid
Nipwick Mechaneedle: Gnome Rogue
Njolin Stonefeather: Dwarf Shaman

LEGION
LEGION
LEGION

Postby LEGION » August 23rd, 2014, 3:26 pm

darethy wrote:
LEGION wrote:So another serious question I had (not that Arthas' babies wasn't srs. Ahem.):

Poor storytelling, also maintaining a neutral faction, also not all of them believe that even if they say it and join with the Forsaken.

Well, is that reasonable speculation in the absence of lore to support/say otherwise, or has that been laid out somewhere? I'd be interested to see what Fordring's official stance is on the creation of new Forsaken, because I don't recall seeing much from him since WotLK.

Login  •  Register