LEGION wrote:So, mechanically, I know all player DKs come from Archerus and therefore would be 3rd Gen DKs. As such, they would not have been created before the 3rd War. But what about after? Is it reasonable to have a Death Knight who was taken from the Fallen in Northrend during WotLK? Much of the Ebon Blade's efforts in Northrend appear to be either freeing or destroying Scourge that were under the Lich King's influence at the time, so it seems possible.
the player character death knights, in order to join their respective factions, required nothing less than all of the following:
0. have the absolute control over their minds by the lich king be broken by the holiest ground in all of azeroth, light's hope chapel
1. be publicly betrayed by the lich king and explicitly stated to be nothing more than a means to an end in front of a literal army of witnesses
2. personally forgiven by the highlord of the argent crusade, wielder of the ashbringer and most powerful paladin alive, tirion fordring
3. swear an oath of vengeance against arthas and all other scourge, as well as admit that they are "abominations with no place in this world"
4. be pardoned in person by their respective faction leader
5. kill every last member of the scourge they used to serve
even with all of the above evidence on their behalf, death knights are still reviled and rejected by many of their allied races, admittedly with more issues accepting them from the Alliance than from the Horde.
people made into death knights in northrend wouldn't have had the lich king's control over them broken, let alone the plethora of other circumstances required for them to be playable. Varok Saurfang tried to kill his own father with an axe without any qualms, the loch king doesnt fuck around when it comes to mind control.
The ebon blade had very very very little focus on the "freeing" side and much much more on the "destroying" part. The only ones freed off the top of my head are those at the Shadow Vault, and they're explicitly being constantly kept mind controlled against their wills with the Sovereign Rods. Its more of a freeing prisoners of war style mission than recruiting the enemy.
a Death knight that's not of acherus is not going to be welcome in any horde or alliance aligned territory in the game. in fact, they'd probably be very high up on the ebon blade's hit list, just like every other high ranking member of the scourge.